Access to decent affordable housing is a fundamental human need. Maintaining an adequate supply of housing is also an important component of a community's economic vitality and overall quality of life.
Fair Housing Equity Assessment
The Fair Housing Equity Assessment (FHEA) identifies baseline conditions for fair housing, equity, and opportunity across the Houston-Galveston region.
Back Home Rapid Housing Recovery Pilot Program
The Back Home Rapid Housing Recovery Pilot Program was created after Hurricane Ike to explore solutions to rapidly provide permanent housing after a disaster to speed up the return of residents to their communities.
Natural Disaster Housing Reconstruction Plan
This plan was created by the Natural Disaster Housing Reconstruction Advisory Committee after Hurricane Ike to evaluate the following:
- Existing systems of providing temporary housing to victims of natural disasters
- Efforts to develop alternative temporary housing models for victims of natural disasters, obstacles to implementing temporary to permanent housing
- Existing models for providing permanent replacement housing to victims of natural disasters
- Alternatives to existing models to improve the sustainability, affordability, desirability, and quality of housing rebuilt in the event of future natural disasters
- Participation, coordination, and involvement of appropriate federal organizations
The plan provides recommendations for the rapid and efficient large-scale production of temporary and permanent replacement housing following a natural disaster.
Guide to Housing in the Gulf Coast Region
There are a variety of housing assistance programs available in the H-GAC region. With funding assistance from the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs, H-GAC prepared a comprehensive guide to these housing assistance programs.
Fair Housing Act
The National Fair Housing Act, as amended, prohibits discrimination in housing and declares it a national policy to provide, within constitutional limits, for fair housing within the United States.