Visit the H-GAC REST Directory for a list of map service published on the H-GAC mapping server. Many services are available to the public and do not require assigned credentials to view or access. For secured services you have been authorized to access, you can request credentials by submiting a request form, then use the credentials assigned to you by H-GAC to login and view those additional services. We offer access to services through desktop GIS as well as web-based GIS applications; see instructions below. Please contact us if you have questions.
How To Use The H-GAC REST Directory
Connecting to the H-GAC ArcGIS Server via applications that use REST directory services
H-GAC map services can be streamed within your web map applications or online portal sites using URLs located in our REST Directory located at http://gis.h-gac.com/arcgis/rest/services. For secured services you may need to impliment a proxy server co-located with your application consuming any secured services. Some restrictions to secured map services may apply based on your individual usage agreement.
Connecting to the H-GAC ArcGIS Server via Desktop GIS (only need to do this once)
In order to stream GIS data layers and tools, follow the instruction below to establish a connection with our GIS server from within your ArcGIS Desktop application. For best results use ESRI ArcGIS Desktop version 9.2 or higher. Once connected, you can add layers and geoprocessing tools to your desktop layers and toolboxes in a similar manner to loading any other form of GIS data.
- Open ArcCatalog and double-click on "GIS Servers" in the folder tree.
- Double-click on "Add Arc GIS Server" to open the wizard.
- In the dialog box select "Use GIS Services" and click "Next".
- In the "Choose the type of ArcGIS Server Connection" dialog box select "Internet", enter the desktop GIS connection URL "https://gis.h-gac.com/arcgis/services" into the Server URL field, and if you have additional security credtials enter those as well. Note: Access to public services do not require security credentials. Click "Finish".
- Look at your folder tree, the server connection should now be listed.
Adding Map Layers to your ArcGIS Desktop
- Click on "Add Data" in ArcGIS Desktop.
- Navigate to the "GIS Servers" folder and double-click on the server connection you wish to connect to.
- Navigate the folders on our server to find the map layers you are looking for.
Adding Geoprocessing Tools to your ArcGIS Desktop Toolbox
- Open "ArcToolbox" inside your ArcGIS Desktop and right-click on the ArcToolbox root folder, anc select "Add Toolbox".
- Navigate to the "GIS Servers" folder, and double-click on the server connection you wish to connect to.
- Navigate the folders on our server to find the geoprocessing tools you are looking for.
These products, data, and/or tools are for informational purposes only and may not have been prepared for or be suitable for legal, engineering, or surveying purposes. They do not represent an on-the-ground survey and represent only the approximate relative location of property boundaries. Mapping may not reflect on the ground conditions. The Houston-Galveston Area Council makes no further claims as to the accuracy or reliability of the data, and neither assumes, nor will accept liability for their use. Use or reproduction of this data without acknowledging the Houston-Galveston Area Council as the source is strictly prohibited.