Vision, Mission and Goals
Based on input from the Houston-Galveston Area Council, METRO and the project consultants, the following vision, mission and goals were developed for the project:
The METRO Bike and Ride Access and Implementation Plan will enhance METRO’s ability to provide first class transit service by linking the region’s expanding bicycle networks to transit infrastructure, while building upon its foundation as a trusted community partner to implement a prioritized set of projects that will provide attractive, safe, healthy, low-cost transportation choices for all users.
The METRO Bike and Ride Access and Implementation Plan will define a prioritized set of high-quality links between the bicycle and transit networks in the METRO service area to maximize the ability to make bicycle-transit linked trips for all users.
- To enhance bicycle access to METRO facilities with a focus on the highest potential locations
- To create inter-jurisdictional consensus on recommendations and partnerships that facilitate on-the-ground improvements with the associated project costs of each
- To improve bicyclist accommodations at METRO facilities, especially Park and Ride lots, transit centers and rail stations
- To identify recommendations for METRO to consider as it develops a comprehensive plan for bicyclists
- To implement programs and standards that make the METRO system easy for bicyclists to understand and use
H-GAC has partnered with METRO on the development of a Subregional Planning Initiative study that will facilitate METRO’s evolution as a multimodal transit agency to increase accessibility for bicyclists and pedestrians. The METRO Bike and Ride Access and Implementation Plan will identify strategic approaches tailored to each of METRO’s Park and Ride lots, transit centers and rail stations based on analysis and information that includes best practices from peer transit agencies, spatial requirements, security requirements and geographic requirements. Study goals include:
- Enhance access for bicycle riders to METRO facilities
- Identify specific short and long-range improvements, along with associated costs for each, that will maximize accessibility and accommodation for bicycles at each Park and Ride lot, transit center, and rail station
- Provide recommendations for METRO and its member jurisdictions to consider as it develops a comprehensive plan for bicyclists throughout its service area