The Solid Waste Management Committee is appointed by the Board of Directors of the Houston-Galveston Area Council to assist and advise elected officials in their decision-making responsibilities by making recommendations on issues related to solid waste management in the Gulf Coast Planning Region.
1. Review and make recommendations to H-GAC Board of Directors on solid waste management issues.
2. Revise and update H-GAC's regional solid waste management plan.
3. Score solid waste management grant applications to H-GAC's regional plan implementation program.
4. Nominate and prioritize other solid waste management projects for state or federal funding,
5. Review local solid waste management plans for consistency with H-GAC's plan.
6. Oversee H-GAC's solid waste management work program.
7. Serve as a forum for discussing solid waste issues and coordinating local efforts.
The Solid Waste Management Committee meets quarterly.
The Solid Waste Management Committee shall consist of 25 members
• 2 from non-profit organizations (with a solid waste emphasis)
• 3 from citizen/environmental groups
• 6 Industry - with representation from recycling, composting, hauling and disposal
• 3 from Subregion 8 - 1 from the City of Houston, 1 from Harris County, 1 Open
• 7 from Subregions 1-7
• 5 at-large Local Government (may be from any subregion)
Solid Waste Management Committee as of October 2011
Download Roster (PDF) 17K